Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere!


It was a just because kinda bubble playing day! I’ve been wanting to get some materials together for some fun with bubbles all summer and finally pushed myself to do it before the season was officially over. It was a great tribute to a fantastic summer!

There are so many recipes out there on the internet for homemade bubble solution and being that this was my first attempt I was pretty nervous about it. Many recipes called for Glycerin which would have required a special trip to a drug store or cake supply store and with my 3 lil ones I really just didn't have the time. So I crossed my fingers and went with the recipe that called for light corn syrup. It was so easy for me to just grab when grocery shopping and it turned out PERFECT! Here’s what we did:

You’ll need:

  • 5 gallons of water (I used regular ol’ tap water)
  • 8 cups of dish detergent (I used a mix of dawn and dollar store brand)
  • 2 cups of light corn syrup

That’s it!!! How easy right?!?! I combined the solution outside since it was going straight into the small play pool. I went with the water first and then added the 8 cups of dish detergent and 2 cups light corn syrup. I used my hands to gently rub the bottom of the pool in efforts to incorporate the ingredients without creating suds. Many sites suggested letting the solution sit overnight for the best results. I wasn't able to do so and put the solution together about 2 hours before we begun our play and I have to say, after playing with it all day, for three days straight, it was perfect from the start! Thank God!

I purchased the majority of our bubble tools the dollar store; pipe cleaners, large bubble wands, individual bubbles, and nets (for butterfly catching). Some of the things we already had were the small play pool, hula-hoop, step stool, drinking straws, yarn, water bottles, rubber bands and an old pillow case.

Before we ventured outside I let the kids use the pipe cleaners to make different shaped bubble wands. They really enjoyed that! Even though there were an abundance of tools to choose from they still enjoyed using the small pipe cleaner wands they created. <3


The nets were TONS of fun! I’m so glad I decided to grab them. They initially used them to run around chasing and catching bubbles of all shapes and sizes until day 2 of playing with the solution when they discovered suds! They used their nets to scoop up the suds from the pool and swing them around and around…it was love at first sight…tiny suds floating through the air and landing everywhere. It looked like snow! Really, it was beautiful!


If I had to choose my favorite experience with the bubbles it would have to be watching the kiddos use the most inexpensive tool of them all…the yarn and straw tool.


Using the hula-hoop to create large wonky looking bubbles and trapping each other in them comes as a very close second! I saw these bubble tools with straw and yarn at One Charming Party. These things made the most incredible bubbles! Four out of five of the kids playing were five and under and these tools were super easy to manipulate and created jaw-dropping bubble results!


We also made some sudsy snake makers by cutting a water bottle in half and wrapping it with parts of a cut up pillow case. I gathered the fabric at the mouth of the water bottle and secured it by wrapping a rubber band around it. With everything else to choose from, these weren't such a hit but did come in handy when the kiddos needed more suds to scoop up with the nets. Beware, they more than likely will get suds very close if not in their mouths.

Check out brother and sister enclosing each other in HUGE bubbles! It was SO awesome!


I really enjoyed watching them explore and learn through play. It was more fun than I could have ever hoped for! All in all it was an absolutely perfect bubbly play-day and I can't wait to make it an annual event!

No comments:

Post a Comment